Why stretching is so important to release lower back pain? The ability to stretch muscles, ligaments, joints and nerves will help you balance your musculoskeletal system. A ‘good’ stretch should feel alleviating and reduce symptoms of lower back pain and sore muscles around the area. A ‘good’ stretch should not induce pain. I say many times throughout my classes and videos, to ‘listen to your body’ and never do anything that does not feel good to you. Our bodies and minds are interconnected and made to protect us from risky or unsafe movements; that is why the spine and its surrounding muscles, ligaments, and tendons are all designed to move in coordination to be free of pain. Limited range of motion can lead to pain.
Patients with chronic or recurrent back pain find it takes weeks or even months before seeing and feeling the results of a good stretching routine. Be patient, but be constant with your stretching routine!
Stretching Tips to Relieve Back Pain:
1. Wear comfortable clothes that allow movement.
2. A ‘good’ stretch should be pain free; do not force the body into positions if it does not feel good to you.
3. Move into the stretch slowly and avoid bouncing, which may actually tear muscles fibers.
4. Stretch on an open floor if possible. Use a soft mat to lie on.
5. Get into a ‘Stretch Schedule’. Dedicate at least 3 or 4 times a week to do your stretching routine.
6. Find a calm and relaxed space to stretch. Use this time to stretch and relax your body and mind (Remember they are interconnected).
Don’t miss the Part I Video in the Free Videos section. It will show you how you can benefit from stretching the soft tissues – muscles, ligaments and tendons – in the back, legs, buttock, and around the spine.
As with beginning any new exercise, start off slowly with a very gentle stretch. Stop if you have any increase pain in lower back or sciatic pain down your leg. If unsure whether you should perform these stretches, consult with your doctor.
Let me know how you feel after following this video! Feel free to comment and LIKE the video so other people can benefit from it. Can’t wait to hear from you!
Peace, Love, Stretch, TANGOFLEX!